If you’re looking for a unique appetizer with a beautiful presentation, give this recipe for Chicken Liver Paté a try. The Iaciofano’s have been making it for years.
For the Crust:
- 2 ½ cups of flour
- 8 ounces of cream cheese
- 8 ounces of unsalted butter
- ¼ c sour cream or heavy cream
- 1 ¼ t salt
For the Paté:
- ¾ pound of chicken livers cut into chunks
- 1/3 c madiera wine
- 5 T butter
- 2 slices of bacon drained and chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 large shallots minced
- 2 T cognac
- ¾ pound smoked ham ground
- ¾ pound ground pork
- 2 t. thyme
- 1 t dried basil
- 1 cup fresh parsley minced
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 2 T heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg beaten with 1 Tbsp milk for glaze
To Make the Crust:
- Combine cream cheese and butter and add sour cream and salt and pulse then add the flour.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- So easy, even The Box can do it!
To Make the Pate:
- Soak chicken liver pieces in madiera wine for 30 minutes. Drain. Melt butter in fry pan and add liver pieces, bacon, garlic and shallots and cook until livers are cooked but still pink.
- Warm the cognac and add to livers.
- Add ground ham, pork, thyme and basil. Mix and cook over medium heat stirring frequently. About 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add parsley, eggs and cream. Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside to cool.
- Roll out 1/3 of the dough into a rectangle about 1/8 in thick. Trim edges so they are even.
- Spread one third of the pate on one half of the pastry leaving 1” border.
- Fold over and press edges with a fork and brush with egg/milk glaze. Repeat.
- Bake in preheated 400°F degree oven on a lightly buttered baking sheet for 25 minutes.
You can freeze these for up to 3 weeks. Do not defrost before baking but add 10 minutes to the baking time.
Keywords: chicken liver, chicken liver paté, paté, paté appetizer, chicken liver paté recipe