Picture yourself in a bucolic field, surrounded by daisies, tweeting birds and copious amounts of sunshine. You have just produced a picnic basket of epic proportions and your companion looks on, eagerly anticipating the delicious contents. As you pull napkins, utensils and other non-perishables from it’s wickery depths, you reach for the pizza, when – GASP! – you realize it has dematerialized into something resembling the Wicked Witch of the West at ending credits. Hmmm.
This has not happened to you? Clearly, you do not eat enough pizza in the mid summer sun’s direct light.
To combat this prevalent problem, I present you with this recipe for Fig and Pesto PICNIC PIZZA (did you hear an echo?). Picnic Pizza is thick crust pizza at it’s best, stuffed with an assortment of the high summer figs, jammed with ricotta cheese and prosciutto, and slathered in arugula pesto.Print
Fig & Pesto Pizza
Pizza can be messy—those toppings become unhinged and can decorate the front of a freshly laundered sundress. This makes a picnic in the country decidedly less pleasant. This picnic pizza bakes the toppings right into the bread! Slice and serve like little sandwiches. No mess, no dry cleaning bills.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 pizza, size 9×13″ 1x
- Category: Pizza
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
- Stretch out your pizza dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover, and allow it to rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Slice the figs into quarters.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of honey with ¼ cup of water in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Allow the honey to dissolve, and then add the figs to the mixture coating them evenly with honey and water. Remove from the heat.
TIP: Keep the pesto in a jar and slather on-site to reduce transport-related mess.
Keywords: pizza, thick crust pizza, fig pizza