This is hummus recipe has added flavor from caramelized onions. Roasting the veggies for dipping gives the dish so much more flavor.
- 1 cup caramelized onion (see chef’s note below)
- 1 15 oz can chick peas
- 1 cup scallions, chopped
- 1/3 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- juice from 1 medium lemon
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
- Garnish: sprinkle of smoked paprika, lemon zest, more chopped scallions, drizzle of EVOO
- Combine all the ingredients except the garnishes in the bowl of a food processor or blender.
- Puree until smooth
- Scoop out into a serving bowl, garnish and serve alongside carrots (raw or roasted, pita chips or crostini) and zucchini.
Chef’s note – how to caramelize onions:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 sweet onions, thinly sliced
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and allow them to brown, turning only occasionally. The longer you cook them, the more sweet and caramel in color they will become. After 30 minutes will be able to remove them from the heat.